Thursday, October 31, 2013

Book Box Thursday: I'm A Big Sister

I wish I found this book before AA was born. It would have been so apt to read it to EV then, to prepare her for her new role as a big sister. But as I discovered, I'm a Big Sister by Joanna Cole is relevant and still makes for good reading even now.

Big Sister 1
As the title goes, this is a simple story about a little girl who gets a new baby sibling. After introducing herself, she soon becomes mummy's little helper, and helps to look after the baby.

What I like about this is that no gender is given to the baby. This means that this book is relevant to be read to any big sister who is getting a new sibling.

What is also heartwarming is the way the story ends. In just a few lines, the story brings the focus back to the big sister, and emphasizes that there is only one 'her' and that she is unique in her own way.

'Mommy loves me. Daddy loves me.
I am special to them.
I'm the only me in the whole world!'

When reading this to EV, I could see the 'light' in her eyes, as she realised that the tale was also referring to her. That though there is AA now, there is only one EV, and that DaddySay and MummySay both love only one EV. Every time when we reach this part, we always give each other a hug and kiss, and for some time after, we would snuggle and cuddle. I really love these moments.

The best moment of the book though is the last page.

Big Sister 2

Isn't this just so awesome?

The heartwarming tale is matched by the colourful pastel illustrations by Rosalinda Kightley. There is a touch of whimsical gentleness and playfulness to the pictures that makes it even more appealing to big sisters like EV. I also like the way details like the table and the hanging laundry add depth and realism to the story.

Activities
Lots of hugs and cuddles when we read this story. I also showed EV pictures of herself when she was young, just like what happened in the story. Of course, lots of sibling bonding time with her little brother too. It's just so touching to see the two of them look out for each other, when they are not fighting over toys, or being cheeky with mummy, that is.

Big Sister 3

In our next Book Box Thursday, we'll be sharing a tale about a tiny dentist. Till then, Happy reading! 

Specially for ToddlyMummy readers!
Ready to go book shopping at My Imagination Kingdom? Here's a deal to make your shopping so much sweeter - a 15% store wide discount for the next two weeks, until 14 November!! Just use this discount code when you order: 'TOM15'. Happy shopping!

Disclaimer: We received a copy of I'm A Big Sister from My Imagination Kingdom. No monetary compensation was received. All opinions and images are my own.


**************

Thank you for reading. If you like this post, please do connect with me on FacebookInstagram and Twitter, so I can share our fun adventures, thoughts and exploits with you. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for the review. I'm going to purchase a copy of this book for my friend. I tried to use the discount code at checkout, but it says it's invalid. Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi.. thanks for reading and alerting me. Let me check with My Imagination Kingdom and get back to you. Thanks for your understanding!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Good news! The issue has been resolved and you can proceed with your purchase. Thanks for your patience! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much for resolving it so fast! I managed to apply the coupon and just bought the book :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for reading and showing love to Toddly Mummy. I appreciate each and every one of your comments.

However, please refrain from posting promotional or rude messages.

Thank you for your understanding!